(216) 316-1566 [email protected]

“Don’t judge each day by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant.”

-Robert Louis Stevenson

As a young child, I was fortunate enough to spend substantial time with my grandparents from both sides of my family.  I was taught how to be a man from both of my grandfathers, how to be gentle, kind, and responsible from my grandmothers, but most importantly, I was taught how to WORK by all of them. 

As many of you have experienced, Alzheimer’s and dementia can impact our loved ones.  It was tough to see as a young man.  Conversations and time enjoyed with family became brief and sometimes frustrating.  Forgetfulness, lack of understanding, and sometimes aggression was difficult for me to grasp.

This year for the 2022 Black Flag Open we wanted to give back in a big way.  We have partnered with ProjectEndALZ in effort to help fund the research to end Alzheimer’s Disease.

80% of all proceeds will be donated to ProjectEndALZ and the remaining 20% will help fund our Super Friday event on March 11, in which we will hand deliver a check to the creator of ProjectEndALZ, Pawel Wencel, celebrate community, and  fitness. It’s our goal to receive more than 100 individual donations either from participant registration or from support. 

There are three ways that you can give back during this year’s Black Flag Open:

1) Give Back: Participate

We do the CrossFit Open BIG at Black Flag Athletics.  Rather than focusing on scores and performance, we use this time to celebrate community and fitness.  When you sign up through our Eventbrite page via a small $15 donation, you will have the opportunity to be part of an intramural team lead by one of our amazing coaches.  It is your goal throughout the three-week open to earn as many points as possible for your team.  At the end of the three weeks, the team with the most points wins.  We will follow the CrossFit Open and each Friday we will complete the Open Workout of the week as a community during classes.  You can earn points by: (+1) completing the Open workout with a class on each Friday (+2) Participate in the theme for each week (+3) Make a social media post tagging @ProjectEndALZ & @blackflag_athletics (+4) if three or more teammates workout in the same class.  This means you can earn a total of 10 points each week for your team.  It is our goal to have over 100 athletes participate in house during this year’s Black Flag Open. 

If you are unable to attend one of the week due to travel, prior plans, etc. we still highly encourage you to participate as your donation will go a long way in supporting the cause and Super Friday event.

Head to the following link to register:



 2) Give Back: Donate

If you are unable to register as an athlete, support from a distance, or simply give back, you can do so by donating through our Eventbrite page. 

Head to the following link to donate:




3) Give Back: Official 2022 Black Flag Open T-Shirt

Our t-shirt printing partner, UTees, has graciously offered to print our shirts for this year’s Open.  These are presale only as none will be available for purchase after the purchase deadline has passed.  Head to the following link to order your tee:



I truly believe this time of the year is magical.  From celebrating eachother through fitness, sharing laughs, cheering eachother on, and (by now) giving back, we are beyond excited to see how we can made the 2022 Black Flag Open the biggest one yet. 

If you have any questions regarding this year’s open and would like to make an impact, feel free to message us at [email protected]. 


Peter Nelson II

Peter Nelson II, COO of Black Flag Athletics, is a fitness professional who takes pride in creating long lasting, positive change. Through an all-inclusive approach on fitness, Peter looks at all aspects of one’s wellness and creates an individualized program that meets the client’s needs.  Peter works with all ability levels from professional athletes, general population, injury rehab clientele, and students.  

In his free time, he enjoys spending time with his wife, Paige, and dog, Dakota.  He is a hybrid athlete who runs ultramarathons and performs strength training concurrently.  He also enjoys hiking, traveling, and medium-rare steak!  

His Credentials Include:
Biomechanics Specialist (NESTA), Fascial Stretch Therapist (Stretch2WIn), Specialist in Fitness Nutrition, CrossFit L1, United States Weightlifting L1, and is Functional Movement Screen certified.

Email Peter at: [email protected]